Friday, January 20, 2006

WINNER: Babelfuck Mistranslation Contest (#1)

Holy crap, we already have a winner for the first Babelfuck Mistranslation Contest. Mary O., PhD, from Philadelphia correctly guessed the following,

1. Sounds of Silence, Simon and Garfunkel
2. Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan
3. Keep on Loving You, REO Speedwagon
4. It Takes Two, Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock
5. We're an American Band, Grand Funk Railroad

I practically had a stroke when y'all nailed Grand Funk Railroad. I thought no one would get that. Seriously, you people should be embarrassed that you know that one.

Mary O. comments,

"I used to grade hundreds of English papers written by international students. What were the languages? I would have sworn there was some Chinese student writing these."

No doubt, Mary O. Reading some of those lyrics gave me flashbacks to my freshman year calculus recitations. All of the translations, by the way, were English > Spanish > English.

I completely underestimated my readership (which, in most cases, serves me well). Ok, next time this is going to be much harder.

Oh, and congrats to Mary O.

1 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm much more impressed that she got "it takes two"...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home